Wednesday, December 24, 2008

H the Helper

I just thought I would dedicate the next couple of posts to my kids. Here is to the good, bad, and the ugly. So here goes......H is our little helper.
1-He is the best chore completer around. This could have something to do with his sticker chart (where 10 chores gets you a prize), but really he loves to be with me doing what I do and if that means cleaning alongside me - that is what he will do.
2- He is sensitive. He doesn't like to see others hurt or upset. Once on the TV he saw a snippet about tapeworms on animal planet. That about set him over the edge - he just kept crying and saying: "I don't want worms in my body".
3- He wants fairness all around. He loves for people to obey laws and choose the right. He tells me things like - "mom, dad drives fast but he hasn't been arrested yet." Notice the yet. (I think he is destined to be a police officer or the like - even though he insists he wants to be a garbage man and build houses.) He constantly asks me if he will be arrested if he is late to school, if I don't turn in homework, if we accidentally drop trash, etc. He even counted the presents under the tree to make sure we had the same amount. This brings us to the next one.
4- He is a giver. After counting the presents he decided that it wasn't ok for C and him to have the most. He decided dad should have the most since he is the oldest. (I beg to differ!)
5- He is the best big brother. Having C around is much easier with H there to occupy her time. Yes they fight, but really they are very best of friends and I pray that it stays that way.
6- He loves to be on time. This is both a blessing and a curse and something I am sure I have brought out in him. He NEEDS to be at least 5 minutes early to school, can't stand going to church late, and loves to arrive anywhere in a timely fashion. He even gets anxious if he thinks we are running behind. This is not to say he doesn't drag his feet - he just gets mad if that makes him late in the end.
7- He is honest. He really has only lied a couple of times (that we know about) and his guilt was HUGE about it. Strangely enough all of those times were about eating all of his food so he could have dessert. Today he even admitted that he saw one of his Christmas gifts - knowing full well that I had told him if he peeked I would take it back. Luckily for him he was doing a chore and that is why he saw it so he gets to keep it. I really need to be better about hiding things - I'm still new at this!
8- Best of all he is a lover! He loves to give hugs and really doesn't want anyone to feel pain, anger, or sadness. What a wonderful boy to have around all year!

1 comment:

Papa Parrish said...

Gee--I miss having a helper like that--is he available for loan?
Nana