Sunday, October 4, 2009

Insect Fair

Saturday morning I took the kids to an insect fair. H was a little camera shy that day, so there aren't many photos of him. Here are a few highlights:

  • We went into a butterfly tent with monarch butterflies. H didn't want to touch them, C would but didn't want them on her. I thought it was super cool.
  • C and I touched Madagascar hissing cockroaches. H wouldn't get near those suckers. They were huge, but surprisingly smooth!
  • Saw a ton of dead bugs (my favorite kind). I think H liked the scorpions best. He talks about them a lot.
  • Got face/hand painted. H got a dragonfly on his hand, C got a butterfly on her cheek.
  • Raced roaches - H's won! Way to go.
  • Made beeswax candles and moth masks.
  • Saw a real bee hive (and I didn't scream when bees flew by me). Also bought yummy honey. Also met the honey queen - some kind of pageant winner (only in central PA).
  • The kids tried chocolate chirpies (aka chocolate covered crickets). C loved them, H ate one bite and threw them away. I abstained. There were other treats to try with bugs in them, but I graciously I let others have them instead. :) Just a note these items were free, that might tell you about their popularity.
  • Brought home a pet caterpillar with instructions of how to tend to it until it becomes a painted lady butterfly. Just what we needed!
This was definitely a day we won't forget. J was disappointed that I didn't eat any bugs (and I am sure he would have tried a few had he been there), but I am perfectly fine that I didn't eat them. Isn't there a name for that - I mean vegetarians get a special name. I think non bug eaters should have a special name too. it was too funny that H wouldn't touch things. He was perfectly content to look instead. Never has been much for interesting textures or creepy things on him. He still touches bugs in the yard with sticks. Smart boy that one!

1 comment:

Papa Parrish said...

I am not a bug eater, either. Non etemologistarian. I made that up. Nana