Saturday, January 24, 2009

Birthday fun

For those of you who are wondering how my birthday was here are a few great highlights:
All good birthdays start early and mine was no exception. The celebration began in primary on Sunday when I was the spotlight. Thanks to the primary presidency for a great goodie bag.
Thursday at the office my friends (and fellow doctoral students) brought a cake and balloon in to celebrate the traditional way.
Thursday night I went out to an early dinner with friends in the doctoral program. We had a great time until the newest student found out that his salad dressing had pine nuts in it (he is allergic) and had to go to the hospital to avoid anaphylactic shock. He is fine, and the evening was fun other than that.
On Thursday morning H was the first to wish me a happy birthday. He snuck downstairs and said "Surprise...Happy Birthday Mom!"
H made some party hats for the day. They are featured in the photos and I think they make us look the pope. H took the one of C & me, so it is a little crooked.
I brought home cake from Thursday to H & C. They were so excited and H insisted on singing "Happy birthday to you" C also tried to sing but then told me "Happy burpday" the rest of the day. They enjoyed the cake a lot!
Friday evening J and I went to see Bill Cosby. We had a lot of good laughs and he did not disappoint. At 71 he still has it - but he is sure looking old.
After the Cosby performance we went to dinner and J gave me a nice card. We rented a movie which I fell asleep to - guess we will finish it today.
I received text messages, emails, and phone calls throughout the day! Thank you to all who did that I felt very loved.
My gift to myself for my birthday was a day without homework - so today I will be working extra hard. H also has a play date, and J is roofing today so that will be interesting.
Tonight my birthday celebrations end with dinner out with a friend. Hope my last year in the 20s is as great as my other years in the 20s. Wow since I turned 20 I got married, graduated from college 2x, had 2 kids, remodeled one house, and soon built one house (well actually I didn't do the work), and moved 2x. Hope your lives are equally eventful. I am very blessed.
Last but not least. Thank you to my mom who not only carried me for 9 months, but also enjoyed morning sickness with 2 small children, and drove herself to the hospital in a blizzard while she was in labor just so I could be born into a sterile environment (just in case you are wondering my dad had to meet here there because of the he was across town at the office and wouldn't have made it in rush hour traffic with the weather). I guess I know how to make a grand entrance! Thanks for all the hard work you did raising me mom - and dad. Love you both!

2 comments:

Treasuring Life's Little Moments... said...

Happy Birthday Sarah! Sounds like you had a fun one! I love the hats that H made...SO cute!

Papa Parrish said...

Grandma also drove down from Wisconsin on the cusp of the blizzard to take over from my friend, Kyla,the siblings that I left with her when I went to the hospital. When Grandma left I had a fever of 104, but she had left Grandpa in charge of foreign exchange students and his mother, and it was time to get back. We spent a lot of time in bed bonding.!!!!Nana