Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Hard day

I got a call on Monday from one of my good friends and former classroom aide. She informed me that one of my former students AC had passed away. Today is his funeral so I thought it appropriate to reflect since I cannot attend. AC was such a wonderful student to have. He taught me so much more than I taught him. I have been anticipating his death for a while now as he was only expected to live to 5 (he made it to 11), but it doesn't really make it easier. I am so sad for this his family and those you love him. I am sure this is an incredible loss. I have been thinking a lot about his mom and how difficult this must be for her to lose a child. I can't even imagine what she is feeling. AC was one of the most cheerful people I have ever met with a smile that constantly engulfed his face. I have so many memories of silly and crazy things he did. Some days he wore me out, others he gave me energy. Yesterday I taught a class about special health procedures and I was able to talk about AC and how we arranged education for a child who is dying. I hope the lesson stuck for the students. I will miss him, but it will be a wonderful reunion when I see him again. Hopefully he is having a great time with BM - another student I lost a few years back. http://azdailysun.com/news/local/obituaries/article_6ea620e3-3cf1-5cb6-bae2-e1b418fdd831.html?mode=story

No comments: