Tuesday, September 8, 2009

school starts

I know some of you have been in school for almost a month now, but H just started today. He was very excited this morning, and up before I could wake him. Then he spent the rest of the morning trying to get me ready (bringing me shoes, telling me when my bagel was done, etc.). I drove him to the school since he is at a new school this year. We checked out he playground first. When we walked in the front door the hallway was blocked off and guarded by the principal. My first thought was "yeah that is really going to foster parent participation in the education process." We preceded into the cafeteria (the only place left to go unless we wanted to leave the school) where all the kids were being "stored" before the bell rang. I waited since he was a little hesitant, and then his teacher came and things were dandy. Thank heavens he likes her! Who wouldn't though? She has cool pointer sticks to point at the board. Lunch went well. According to H he didn't make any friends, but there are nice kids in his class. This reminds me how different C and H look at the world. Around 2:15 I got a call from the school with confusion about how he was getting home. I had placed a notecard in his bag with information in case he couldn't remember his bus number, our phone numbers, etc. Well I guess this card was taken out of his bag and they thought it was instructions for after school plans. I cleared up confusion, and noted how funny it was that the automatically called mom (even though dad was the first number listed). He came home on the bus, and ran off to greet us. C was very happy to have her playmate back!

1 comment:

Papa Parrish said...

What a handsome first grader!! Nana