Monday, December 7, 2009

WARNING...this post contains ranting

I just have to get this off my chest. Did all of you realize that the rates of children born with Down's syndrome are going down. At first this seems very positive right? Well the reasons are upsetting. Apparently with the increase in pregnancy screenings many doctors are recommending abortion, and many individuals are choosing to abort a child when a test shows that they will be born with Down's syndrome. I don't mean to get on my soapbox, but does that mean that people honestly feel a life with a disability is not worth living. The truth is that many of these parents-to-be are just not being given accurate information about the abilities of individuals with this disability. In addition, many people do not realize that these individuals are very capable of growing into very productive members of society. I think it is a shame that our world has come to this and I am mad that doctors would ever recommend abortion for a child because they will have a disability. ARGGGH! I don't think any of these individuals have met Jackson, a boy with Down's syndrome, who was the highest reader in his kindergarten class (he knew how to read before he entered school). Who knows maybe he will someday be a doctor and tell all the other doctors off! What needs to be done is clear. People need more education - to make good decisions and change outlooks outcomes and for those with disabilities.
Thanks for listening, I think I am done - for now.

1 comment:

Papa Parrish said...

The world is a better place when these special spirits come into our lives. MamaP