Sunday, May 8, 2011

Dissertations aren't for wusses!

So my brothers might try to tell you I am a wuss. In many ways they would be completely correct. I don't really like to push myself physically. I enjoy being room temperature (weather extremes aren't my thing). I can be a complainer if you try to pick on me, etc. All that said...the process of getting a dissertation is harder than anything I have done - and I have done a few challenging things in my life. When all this is over - no one will be able to call me a wuss again!
My dissertation makes me have horrible dreams (bugs falling on me, lions mauling me, getting Fs in a class I forgot to attend, etc), keeps me up in the middle of the night, gives me stomach aches, and more. I really wouldn't recommend it for anyone. The past month for me has been exceptionally difficult (ok really this whole past semester). I am trying to get participants for my study. I need at least 3 pairs of an adult (classroom or one on one aide) and child. They must be in the same classroom, know each other, etc. Lots of requirements for both of the participants. It has been VERY challenging. I have actually had more people say no than yes so far. I had hoped to be collecting data weeks ago, but I am still trying to get another participant instead. I have to be honest, I have seriously contemplated giving up altogether, or trying again in the Fall - it has been that bad. I mean working at a fast food joint has seemed quite appealing. I have cried more than I want to admit and it has just been a dreary forecast in my world.
BUT.........I have a super husband who should consider being a motivational speaker, or a weight loss coach (think Jillian), or maybe a drill Sargent. He hasn't let me give up! He has put up with my mood swings, and listened to me complain multiple times. My advisor also helped me come up with a few solutions which was great, but J has a way of telling it straight and not backing down. Sometimes I want to scream when he does that (ok sometimes I actually scream), but in this case I needed it! Looks like things will likely be moving forward this summer after all (I need only one more participant and I have 4 more possibilities), which is a very good thing because dissertations should be completed as quickly as possible so you can regain your sanity before retirement age! Don't worry though, you all will know when I am finally collecting data!

1 comment:

Papa Parrish said...

You inspire me. I know it is a lot of blood sweat and tears. I am certain it will be worth it, and I can say," My daughter, the doctor."