Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The moment Jamie has been waiting for....

the big news is that I got the job at Penn State! It is a fixed term position for one year, but can be renewed annually. The position involves mainly teaching. I will teach 3 classes (all the same) the first semester and 4 the second (2 different, but one is the same from the prior semester). The classes are hybrid meaning they are taught using online materials and in class sessions. Each class meets for about 1.5 hours weekly. The classes are taught to undergrads in education (non special education majors - PE ed, art ed, gen ed, music ed, secondary ed, etc.). The grading and prep time are pretty intense, but it will be better than teaching 3 different classes with 2.5 hour lengths each (which is what I did last semester, among other things). Pay is great, and we are happy to stay put for a while. Only major drawbacks for this job are:
a) It is not a tenure line position. Less pressure, but also less security.
b) It isn't a research position. All research I want to do would be in addition to this position, so I will probably do less of it.
I see this as something I will do for a few years, but time will tell.
Right now I have to get back to work, I have a lot to get done before August 1!

3 comments:

Baby Oven said...

Congratulations! I am excited that you landed a position at Penn State so that you guys don't have to move again. Good luck!

Michelle said...

Congrats! I'm glad things are working out:)

JamieLynn said...

Congrats Sarah! You are such a hard worker, I'm proud of you!